Thank you to everyone who participated in last week’s webcast with John Dugan, Director of the City of San Antonio’s Department of Planning & Community Development, and Patrick Walsh, Director of the City of Houston’s Planning and Development Department.
The event was approved for 1.5 CM credits and is listed as event number #e.29557.
The Southwest Section will host the event below. Lunch will be provided for the first 15 RSVPs. Please RSVP via email to Rudy Nino at email@example.com (please inform of any dietary restrictions).
Also, our Section will have a number of opportunities to participate in San Antonio’s Comprehensive Plan Update process, to include supporting the public engagement component of the process. If you are interested in participating, please send your request via email to Rudy Nino (firstname.lastname@example.org) that includes a short write-up (less than one page) explaining why you would like to represent APA in supporting the Plan update and how you feel you can contribute. The Executive Board will select the APA representatives to support the planning process.
Important – Employees of the following entities must inform the Executive Board of their affiliation at the time of their request to participate:
- City of San Antonio employees
- Organizations represented on any advisory or working group (to include the Steering Committee)
- Employees of consulting firms working on the plan update
The Big Two: Houston – San Antonio Comprehensive Plan Peer Exchange
Join us, February 20th, for an exciting webinar.
The Texas Big Two Comprehensive Plan Peer Exchange Webinar continues the conversations from 2014’s Texas Big Six Conference. The state’s two largest cities and two of the largest cities in the nation, Houston and San Antonio, are both embarking on developing a vision and strategies for their futures through new comprehensive plans. San Antonio’s last comprehensive plan was completed in the 70s, whereas, Houston has never adopted a comprehensive plan. This webinar will provide attendees with a clear understanding of the purpose, current status, and next steps in each city’s comprehensive planning process. The directors of planning from Houston and San Antonio will serve as presenters. The webinar will provide a rare opportunity for these two leaders to exchange information about their city’s planning efforts and afford an opportunity for attendees to converse with both director’s live.
There are three options for attendance (registration is required):
- Attend in person at Houston Location with Pat Walsh (H-GAC Room A)
- Attend in person at San Antonio Location with John Dugan (TBD)
- View webinar remotely (Access info to be released closer to event date)
CM Credit has been requested.
When: February 20th, 2015 | 12:00pm to 1:30pm (please arrive by 11:45am, event will start at noon)
Where: Houston Location: H-GAC Room A, 3555 Timmons Lane
San Antonio Location: will convene at the City of San Antonio’s Department of Planning & Community Development (1400 South Flores Street) – Main Conference Room
The Planning Webcast Series, sponsored by a number of APA Chapters and Divisions (including our own Texas Chapter) is a wonderful resource for AICP members looking for easy (and free) opportunities for CM credit. Earn over 40 CM credits every year on your computer – at no cost to members of the APA chapters and divisions that support the Planning Webcast Consortium. The Utah Chapter of the APA maintains the listings for these webcasts at http://www.utah-apa.org/webcasts
Upcoming Webcasts Include:
- February 13 – Urban Design & Preservation Division – Communicating Design and Aesthetics in the Planning Process – Speaker: Kurt Culbertson – CM Approved – #e.29309
- February 20 – Pennsylvania Chapter – Planning for Immigrant and Multi-Ethnic Communities – Stacey Chen, AICP, Melissa Kim and Jennifer Rodriguez – CM Pending – #e.29363 – ETHICS CREDIT!
- March 13 – Northern New England Chapter – Responding to FCC New Collocation Rules – How to Avoid “Deemed Granted” – Gerard Lederer – CM Pending – #e.29641 – LAW CREDIT!
- March 20 – Northern New England Chapter – Housing for People with Disabilities: A Civil Rights Lens – Alison Barkoff and Ben Frost – CM Pending – #e.29642 – LAW CREDIT!